How to Knit short courses for beginners and improvers
Beginner’s knit short course
Whether you have never tried to knit or have tried and struggled, Nicki will help you master the basic stitches. She’ll help you understand abbreviations and follow simple written instructions. After three classes you will have the confidence to make your own simple projects such as a knitted bunny or a simple scarf.
“This was a fantastic course. Now I have the confidence to embark on a project to knit a blanket.”
Beginner’s course content:
First class: holding yarn and needles while casting on, knitting and purling, and casting off.
Second class: swapping between knit and purl within a row to make knit-purl stitch patterns such as ribs and moss stitch.
Third class: joining knitted squares and a small project such as a bunny from a square.
You will learn to:
- Choose the right needles for yarn.
- Hold needles and yarn.
- Cast on and off.
- Knit and purl.
- Do garter stitch, stocking stitch, ribs and moss stitch.
- Join knitting together as well as decoding pattern abbreviations.
- New knitter (you’ve never tried).
- Beginner knitter (you’ve tried, but lack confidence or are rusty or just prefer to learn with a tutor).
Improvers’ knit short course
You’ve knitted simple items using knits and purls. Or maybe you completed How the Beginners’ short course with Nicki. Maybe you’ve looked at some patterns, but don’t know what to try next. Nicki will show you the techniques you need to knit some simple accessories. She’ll also help you to understand abbreviations and written instructions as well as a few symbols and simple charts. You’ll leave with samples of, and instructions for the techniques covered. After finishing this improvers’ course, you’ll have the confidence to use the skills learnt to make simple accessories such as scarves, cowls, fingerless mittens, mittens and hats.
“I was thrilled with the new skills I learned and am eagerly looking forward to the next course. Meanwhile, I will be tackling some projects on my own that I wouldn’t have felt confident to try before this course.”
Improvers’ course content:
First class: reading a knitting pattern for a simple project; stitch and row tension; keeping track of rows; neat edges.
Second class: finishing your knitting; joining seams; increasing and decreasing.
Third class: different methods for knitting items with a small circumference in the round; casting-on and starting the first round.
You will learn to:
- Measure stitch and row tension.
- Change colour.
- Increase and decrease neatly.
- Keep edges neat.
- Sew seams.
- Knitting in the round.
- Read simple knitting patterns.
- Improver knitter (you can cast on and off, knit and purl and work garter and stocking stitch).
- Yarn for samples and projects.
- A pair of knitting needles (for beginners only).
- A summary of the techniques covered.
- Notebook and pen.
- 4.0 mm knitting needles (improvers only).
Knitting needles will be available to purchase.
The Being Knitterly Studio is in a beautiful Edwardian house in Loughborough, Leicestershire.
After booking, Nicki will email you full details and directions, as well as questions about your previous knitting experience.